Let’s talk about the importance of video in marketing for 8 seconds. Really, that’s the average online attention span -8 seconds. The sad part is the average attention span of a goldfish is about 9 seconds. That means your online audience has a shorter attention span than a goldfish. In short, you don’t have any time to waste. In fact, to give you an idea of how quickly your audience is drawn away, you’ve already been on this page longer than 8 seconds. Don’t go yet!
As attention spans get smaller and the amount of information around us grows, the demand for video in marketing has been on a steady and steep increase. The internet is a noisy, busy place, and video is the most effective way to engage customers, quickly. Videos aren’t only entertaining; they communicate messages simply and in a shorter time frame than text alone. They are also more likely to be shared online.
We don’t want to lose any more of you to page hopping, so here are some excellent stats from around the web about how video has become the king of content in the marketing world…
- 90% of information transmitted to the brain is visual, and visuals are processed 60,000X faster in the brain than text.
- People are 85% more likely to purchase a product after watching a video.
- Viewers spend 100% more time on web pages with videos on them.
- Video will grow a staggering 11% in U.S. digital ad spend, going from 19% ($2.9B) in 2013 to 30% ($9.1B) in 2017.
- People remember 20% of what they hear, 30% of what they see and a whopping 70% of what they see and hear.
- 9% of marketing professionals worldwide cite video as the type of content with the best ROI.
- Research experts, Forrester, reported a minute of video is worth 1.8 million words.
- SEO and content management pros at Moz revealed that of the top 50 most-shared pieces of content, 48% were video, and 24% were image-based.
- Using video on your landing pages will increase conversion rates by 80%.
- Retail site visitors who view video stay two minutes longer on average.
- 93% of marketers used video for online marketing in 2013.
As part of a complete content strategy, video is one of the most powerful, fun and engaging marketing tools at your disposal. Commonly assumed to be a high-dollar item in marketing, video can fit into most small to medium-sized company’s budgets on a consistent basis, due to its proven return on investment.