What if we were to tell you that a good social media campaign is exactly like creating an epic playlist? You probably wouldn’t believe us, and that’s okay – because we’re going to show you, step by step.
We looked up how to create an awesome playlist and found a very informative post on WikiHow. According to them, the bolded steps below are how you create the perfect playlist. According to us, the steps below will also help you carry out a flawless social media campaign.
Choosing a Program
To run a social media campaign, you need to identify which social media platform to use.
- Select a music program that allows you to create a playlist. The platform you choose could very well determine your campaign’s success. If you choose the wrong one, you may not have everything you need to successfully run your campaign. So, choose which features are most important to your campaign’s success and go from there.
- Upload music to work with. After you select one or two platforms to run your campaign on, familiarize yourself with it. Yes, even if you’ve used the platform in the past. It would be silly to assume you know every feature on the platform when you can take a couple minutes and ensure you’re completely familiar with it.
- Make a playlist on the go. One feature that is non-negotiable during a campaign is the ability to schedule ahead. You’re a busy person; don’t chain yourself to a computer to post something that could have been automated.
The next thing you need to do is decide what posts to make, and then create them. Seems easy enough, right?
- Start with a genre. There are a variety of different kinds of posts you can utilize. Several examples are photos, videos, text, and interactive posts like polls. Make sure you use multiple types, you don’t want to bore your audience.
- Start with a theme. The posts should focus around one main topic, but it’s okay to branch out a little. If you are constantly posting about the exact same topic, it may become too repetitive for your followers and cause them to lose interest.
- Start with an occasion. Don’t forget the occasions! These can range from holidays to office events. Believe it or not, people like to see what is happening at your company. It’s a little like going backstage at a concert, minus the rockstars.
- Be nostalgic. If nostalgia works with your campaign, use it. Studies have shown that people have a strong emotional reaction to feeling nostalgic, meaning they are more likely to connect with your post and maybe even share it with their friends.
- Start with an audience. This is huge. If we could type this entire section in all caps without being horribly obnoxious, we would. Because KNOWING YOUR AUDIENCE IS KEY! Sorry, we couldn’t help ourselves. If it felt like we were yelling at you, it’s because we were. If you don’t know your audience and how to connect with them, your campaign will fail 100% of the time. So take some time, do your research, and get to know the people you’re trying to reach.
- Be a good organizer. What would be the point in coming up with brilliant ideas and creating stunning content if you can’t ever find it to post?
Sometimes getting organized is easier said than done. A good strategy takes time to plan – don’t rush it.
- Dump everything into one playlist. When you put together a puzzle you dump all of the pieces out of the box first, right? Think of your posting strategy as a puzzle. It’s easiest to lay everything out so you can see it all. So, gather all of your posts in one place and get ready to strategize.
- Start with a hook. The first post you publish is one of the important aspects of your campaign. You need to get your audience’s attention and inform them on what’s next to come. You need to hook them.
- Include some highs and lows. While it’s important to keep your audience engaged throughout the campaign, you need to switch it up from time to time. Have you ever been listening to a playlist where all of the songs are so loud, that eventually it all just becomes noise? You want to avoid that. This is where those slightly off-topics we talked about earlier come in handy. Strategically place those throughout your campaign as a breather for your followers.
- Listen to the transitions. Nothing is more unsettling than a drastic change. You need to gradually guide your audience through your social campaign, avoiding any sudden shifts.
- Test it out. If we hadn’t already claimed knowing your audience is most important, we would say this is. So, this is the second-most important thing to remember when crafting and running a social media campaign. You’re going to have to feel it out; see what works and what doesn’t. Don’t be afraid to make adjustments along the way. No amount of research beforehand can gauge how your audience is actually going to react.
Who would have thought crafting the perfect playlist and a stellar social media campaign would be so similar? We think it may be because playlists and campaigns both rely heavily on flow. Often people focus too much on each piece of content, or song, instead of noticing how everything flows as a whole.
Still not sure how to make your campaign flow just right? Lucky for you, we know a thing or two about social media marketing. Feel free to contact us, we promise we don’t bite. We’re actually kind of nice.